Saturday, October 8, 2011

Emailing from Accra

We are on our Vision Quest and we had to come to Circle in Accra we left Valley View 7th Day Aventist College where we are in the dorms at 7:30 am and got to Circle at 9:45 with a transfer in Medina. Our first adventure.

Plane ride so long but they fed us like we were not getting food again for 2 yrs. Ha. Plane was an hr late so they held dinner for us - all I wanted was a bed but did eat. Imagine that. Our rooms are dorms with our own bathrooms and two beds. The courtyard is great. Have a couple of yoga people with us so it is going to be great during training to have some classes together - Diana I will let them see your class when I can get the computer charged again. Ha!!!

We have been through Accra (a craw soft a) 3 times now and that is interesting. Traffic is a night mare no wonder we are not allowed to drive. Once in town it was paved but where paved out of town is full of holes so bouncing is the name of the game. Linda, Jacqui, Marilyn remember the good bad and ugly? same here. We are at the end of rainy season so it is somewhat green but really we are in flats so close to the ocean.

Yesterday was medical - got shot - a ice bag for my ankle (coming off the plane it looked like I had elephant legs) malaria medicine, bug creme and sun screen. Then it was classes, classes, then lunch, security class, ride back to VView, then another security class, dinner, then class that was really a skit of our experience today on the Tros Tros (tro is way to say it) which was funny but it turned out to be true. Then we were given our quests today. I went to cold shower yes I have not seen hot yet put ice on foot then was asleep long before 9:00pm.

Woke so refreshed this am to the alarm at 6 am for breakfast at 6:45 eggs were very good but the bread is going to kill me it is sooooo good and thick. I am looking for peanut butter at market today.. Mikey said that it was so good peanut little salt and organic sounds just what I need. My group today is Megan, Terri and Suzanne. suzanne will stop and talk to anyone in the market so we have most of our quest down already including this internet cafe. One person we spoke to saw us walking and asked if we had found the internet yet. We said no and he said he would show us. He walked us to the door opened it for us and told us to have a good day. This is suppose to be norm in Ghana. I am happy about that.

Yesterday could not get phone unlocked so Daniel our PCVL took it to a PC driver he ran to town to a friend (but before he left he wrote my name on my battery and gave me my mico chip back just in case....) before afternoon class I had my phone back Daniel had tested it and I am hooked up to Ghania Network but I am sure it still has ATT so I will buy a sims card tomorrow then call.

My vest is the envy of everyone. the guys have pants with pockets but most everyone is carry a backpack so my hands free is good. The campus is safe so we have locked our rooms with our computer etc and left it for our quest today. Water is in like a zip lock bag that you tear the corner with your teeth then drink it . I put it in my container I brought and all is good. At Circle today I even got it ice cold. YEA!! At dinner last night we got a frozen package (like peas come in) but is was like an popcicle. Yummmy!!

There is 26 in our group only 5 business rest natural resources so I am thinking we will do business with the farmers or growers in the country. We start classes Monday interviews next week and more medical next week. Can't wait for another Hep B shot- Sarah don't you wish you could get one toooooo!!

When Tros Tros stops everything you can image is for sale - just like a drive through for dinner in US we can get snacks, drinks, cloth, etc from the tops of womens heads. Can't wait to get someone to teach me how to do that. They even run after tros tros if they need to give you change or if you still owe them. WOW!! They never lose their goods off their heads.

All for now computer time running out cost us about $1.25 for on hour on internet. Money just got better here for American money about 1.52 cedis for $1.00 so I exchanged a little more yesterday.

SO FAR SO WONDERFUL Talk to you soon.

No comments: